3 Things Parents Don’t Understand about Teens


 Here are 3 things that parents should understand to have a smooth relationship with their children

1. Respecting privacy

Teenagers or even preteens requires privacy for obvious reason, especially while they are going through a transition. I would say many parents do understand that, but many don’t as well. Still, in 2022, I see tons of questions regarding parenting in my Quora account asking for “my 15-year-old son or daughter keeps their bedroom close even if I don’t allow them to. What should I do’’ honestly, I feel like answering, ‘just go back to your own teenage and find out the answer instead of asking here'. I have been way past that age and I had to struggle for my own privacy as well. I can clearly say that it is disgusting not to have that while someone is going through the transition.

2. Attachment with friends

Some Parents like to control their children’s life. Even they find satisfaction in choosing who would their own children are going to talk with. They like to be oblivious to fact that a person needs to be friends with someone of their age. They can’t always talk about every single thing or have every single feeling expressed to their parents. And the most asked question I have seen about this topic is ‘’why is my child sad about some issues with friends, why is my child making such a huge deal about his friend's death,’’ yes, death. I even asked a few parents about this topic and a small percentage of them actually think that it would be really disrespectful to the parents if their child cries because of any friend’s death, in front of them. They think friends are not even a little important in life as parents are so there is no reason for anyone to cry if they lose them. According to them, they can find plenty of friends but no parents.

3. Generation change

If I am completely honest, it is not that easy for anyone to cope with the generation changes. Even still now people in their mid-20s fail to understand certain things about their little children. but nevertheless, parents have to, that is the most challenging part of this job, the more you understand the more you will have a good relationship with your own child. Time doesn’t wait for anyone, life keeps on changing and it will always keep on changing, never going to a standstill. Hence it is just good for everyone to be updated with the present instead of trying to embrace the past lifestyles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY THE HYPE ABOUT READING?

The Story of the Great Nalanda University